February 8, 2023, began like every other day at Asbury University. Little did the students and staff at this institution of learning know that events that would unfold later on would draw global attention. A revival broke out at Asbury University that sparked interest from Christians and non-Christians from all over the world.
About Asbury University Revival 2023
What started like a normal worship service has metamorphosed into a global revival. The students had decided to remain at the Hughes Auditorium spontaneously after the scheduled chapel service held on February 8, 2023. Alison Perfater, the student body president, was among the handful of students gathered in the auditorium. He said that the atmosphere changed after one of the students openly confessed his sins to other members of the small group.
Perfater said, “For seemingly no reason at first on Wednesday, February 8 it didn’t end. That’s kind of the logistical side of what’s been going on. On the deeper side of things, what’s been happening here since Wednesday is there’s a young army of believers who are rising to claim Christianity, the faith, as their own, as a young generation and as a free generation, and that’s why people cannot get enough.”
This revival is quite significant because it broke out among Gen Z and it doesn’t have many of the features that accompany contemporary worship. A hashtag, “asburyrevival” had amassed more than 24 million views on TikTok as of February 15. It had grown to over 63 million on February 18. The revival meetings might have ended, but it is still ongoing. After a few meetings, the university authorities had to move it off-campus.
Breaking Out at Different Locations
The Asbury University revival is shifting. It seems the students have begun a movement that they can’t handle by themselves. This is because more people are planning to come in from all over the world to be part of this amazing event.
Dr. Kevin Brown, the University’s President, has invited fellow believers to join hands to keep the fire of the revival burning. He said they needed to offer mentorship for the new believers so that they could grow their faith.
The university leadership announced the dispersing of the revival service across several locations beginning on Monday, February 20, 2023. The movement traveled to different college campuses scattered all over the United States. They include:
- Bethel in Austin, Texas
- Cedarville University in Cedarville, Ohio
- Christ for the Nations in Dallas, Texas
- Eastern Kentucky University
- Indiana Wesleyan University
- Jackson High School in Jackson, Georgia
- Kentucky Christian
- King’s Way Church in Birmingham, Alabama
- Kingdom Life Church in Waterville, Maine
- Lee University, Tennessee
- Ohio Christian University
- Park University in Parkville, Missouri
- The Gate Church Charlotte in North Carolina
- University of Kentucky
It also attracted several big acts, including gospel artist Kari Jobe and political commentator Tucker Carlson. You can follow the live stream by clicking this link.
What We Love About this Revival
There are so many things that we love about the Asbury University Revival 2023. This move of God is nothing short of amazing and mind-blowing. Here are some of the things that make this revival remarkable:
- It is not personality-driven. This revival is not driven by any man or group of people. God simply took over willing vessels and is using them to drive this unprecedented move of the Spirit.
- Completely organic. Nobody has put in any effort to publicize this event. It has enjoyed divine publicity without any financial investments or human planning. It is all God, not man.
- Focus on Christ, worship, prayer, and repentance. The whole focus of this revival is Jesus Christ and it was birthed from a gathering of young people worshipping Him. It has also become a focal point for prayer and repentance with many people turning to God completely through His power.
- Not denominational. This revival is not a function of any denomination. People from different denominations are coming together with their sole aim being to come in contact with God. God is doing something beyond anything we have experienced in modern times.
What Can You Do?
The gatherings might have ended but the revival isn’t over. Do you know that you can play a part in this revival despite not being at Asbury University? Yes, there are a few things that you can do to key into this revival. We have provided some suggestions below:
- Don’t follow their blueprint. Instead, you should spend time praying and seeking God’s face. As you do this, He will show you how to become involved.
- Pray for everyone involved in the revival and those traveling down to experience it from all over the world. Ask God to protect them because the devil hates revival and will do all that he can to create disunity or counterfeit it.
- Spread the word about the revival. God is doing the unimaginable through this revival and it is our responsibility as Christians to speak about it everywhere we find ourselves.
Kindly visit GodKulture to read more exciting gospel news from around the globe.